Search This Blog

Monday 4 March 2013

About The Boy in the Kitchen

It all started with a lemon tart. 

Fingers aching from zesting a lemon to within an ounce of its life, arms sore from whisking, patience quickly disappearing as I tried to make something that resembled decent pastry, I had a thought. I thought I bet there aren't many other guys in their early 20's making a lemon tart on a Friday night. I thought in fact there still aren't many young men out there, on TV, talking in pubs, in the gym, wherever, who enthuse about cooking. I thought that for all I loved to cook, it was time to share a bit of my new found passion. 

About a year ago, I found myself in the situation where for the first time I had the time, the resources and the enthusiasm to start cooking properly. Throughout university I always ate quite well, but had been more bothered spending what time and money I had on a night out rather than in the kitchen. I have always loved food, wholeheartedly. And I am the kind of person who when I love something, I have to be able to do it myself. Cooking was never something I took up, it was just something I have found myself doing, trying new things, and now I can't get enough. 

Once upon a time my idea of a culinary masterpiece was a chicken stir-fry. But food is so brilliantly varied, so fantastically different, and there is so much out there to try and to do with it. I just want to share a few of the things I try out. I am in no way trying to tell you I am a good cook, you can decide that for yourself, nor am I suggesting that I create these recipes myself. Many of the recipes will be at least based on recipes from elsewhere, and I will always give credit where it's due (websites such as BBC Good Food, and books from the likes of Jamie Oliver and The Hairy Bikers will be regulars). 

So a few pointers. Nutrition is crucial to me. I am a bit of a health nut, and cook from fresh as much as I possibly can, and I will always try to cook the healthiest version of a recipe. I exercise a lot, so eating well is part and parcel of that for me. I do love 'proper grub' though. So while it may have started with a lemon tart, expect the likes of stews, risottos and curries to feature a lot. I have also started cooking a lot of vegetarian meals lately. I think having two to three veggie meals a week is a great idea, and cuts down on your red meat intake and your carb intake. 

And finally, I am a great believer of a treat. I certainly lean towards to the school of thinking that a little bit of what you love does you no harm. I would never eat so healthily through the week if I didn't know there was a couple of beers or a whisky and a ginger waiting for me on the Friday, or a roast dinner on a Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment